Castello di Neive wine producer

Castello di Neive
Neive is a medieval hilltop village in the Barbaresco region of Piemonte, dominated by the historic Castello di Neive which was completed in 1753 on foundations dating back five centuries earlier.  The castle and the surrounding 150 acre estate are owned by the Stupino family, siblings Anna, Giulio, Italo, and Piera.
 
Their father, Giacomo Stupino, was a land surveyor and used his extensive knowledge of the area to buy fine vineyards and farmland around Neive, where his family had lived for centuries.  In 1964 this culminated in the purchase of the Castello di Neive and its estate, which included the now-legendary Santo Stefano vineyard.
 
Despite owning some of the finest vineyards in Barbaresco, it wasn’t until after the death of Giacomo in 1970 that Giulio and Italo began to bottle their own wine and sell it under the Castello di Neive name.  They still supply fruit from Santo Stefano to Bruno Giacosa, from which he produces what many consider to be Italy’s greatest red.
 
The castle’s spacious cellars are the birthplace of Barolo and Barbaresco as we know it today.  In the mid-19th century French oenologist and wine trader Louis Oudart served as consultant to the castle’s owner, the Count of Castelborgo.  He created the first dry red from Nebbiolo that was designed to be aged, calling it Neive.  It won a gold medal in London in 1857, and soon the style spread throughout Piemonte.
 
Following in that tradition of innovation, Castello di Neive played a vital role in reviving the white Arneis grape.  By the 1970s this disease-prone and low-yielding variety was almost extinct; only two producers still used it.  In collaberation with oenologists from Turin University, Italo began a clonal selection programme in 1976 to identify healthier and more productive strains.  Arneis bounced back, and is today the most highly-regarded Piemontese white.
 

Decanting Club wines made by: Castello di Neive

Get in touch